VP, Implementation and Engineering
Location: Boulder or Denver,CO     Department: Engineering, Executive Management
Job Number: LH-1317
VP, Implementation and Engineering
Boulder or Denver, CO
Reports To: SVP, Fiber Solutions South Region
Zayo Group Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ZAYO) provides communications infrastructure solutions, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud infrastructure to the world’s leading businesses. Customers include wireless and wireline carriers, media and content companies, cloud providers, finance and professional services and other large enterprises. Zayo provides customers with flexible solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth.
The VP, Implementation and Engineering is a key member of the Fiber Solutions Product Group. This position is responsible for all technical functions within the group including architecture, planning, engineering, circuit design/provisioning, moves, adds and changes for existing circuits, implementation of new services, technology lifecycle projects, and Tier 3 technical and operational support. This position is also responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with senior-level technical contacts within customer organizations.
The VP, Implementation and Engineering reports directly to the Fiber Solutions South Region SVP, leads a team of approximately 30 people, and is a key member of the Fiber Solutions leadership team.
- Oversee an organization of engineers and project managers responsible for installing customer orders of dark fiber services and fiber networks for the Southern US region.
- Forecast monthly net install targets and readout on regular progress to both team & senior management.
- Approve and review annual capital budgeting forecasts.
- Provide executive reporting on quarterly implementation metrics and get well plans.
- Act as a senior customer escalation point on install issues.
- Establish and implement architectural standards used to build metro dark fiber, longhaul dark fiber, PWN/PDN, FTT and small cell transport networks.
- Evaluate, test, and select equipment used in the FTT/small cell network. Negotiate agreements and manage relationships with equipment vendors.
- Establish network design standards used to engineer network infrastructure to support dark fiber & PWN/PDN services.
- Review detailed network engineering in support of new customer networks, network augments and lifecycle replacement initiatives.
- Establish circuit design standards used to design and provision circuits on the dark fiber and PWN/PDN networks.
- Manage timely output of all fiber engineering tasks in conjunction with maintenance, new install and audit efforts.
- Improve and establish best practice processes in order to support timely and effective network installs from both a fiber engineering and service delivery perspective.
- Proactively perform network capacity management to ensure network augments ahead of network congestion.
- Provide key operational performance reporting for internal and external customers.
- Develop and maintain a close working relationship with the dark fiber & PWN/PDN NCC (Network Control Center) as a critical internal supplier to Fiber Solutions.
- Serve as a mentor to direct reports to help them develop into Zayo leaders.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Engineering or other related technical field, or equivalent work experience. Business degree/acumen a plus.
- 10+ years of relevant experience managing engineering, planning and operations teams for wireline or wireless carriers.
- 10+ years of experience working on complex, innovative projects /networks.
- Demonstrated exceptional problem solving skills.
- Ability to communicate technical topics clearly and effectively with both internal and external customers.
- Ability to develop strong, peer working relationships with senior technical leaders in customer organizations (wireless carriers).
- Ability to manage and effectively prioritize multiple projects simultaneously in a demanding, fast-paced environment.
- Proven ability to manage large, complex technical projects and associated budgets.
- Demonstrated experience and working knowledge of fiber service delivery and/or engineering.
- Proven experience in designing large scale, carrier-class Cisco and Juniper layer 2 networks. Experience with Cyan a plus.
- Working knowledge of DWDM systems and optical network design principles.
- Experience designing and operating network monitoring and service level reporting solutions.
- Experience in defining capacity planning requirements.
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
Zayo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.