Sr. Systems Administrator, UNIX
Location: Boulder or Denver,CO     Department: Engineering, IT
Job Number: LH-1301
Sr. Systems Administrator, UNIX
Boulder or Denver, CO
Reports To: Manager, Technical Solutions – UNIX
Zayo Group Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ZAYO) provides communications infrastructure solutions, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud infrastructure to the world’s leading businesses. Customers include wireless and wireline carriers, media and content companies, cloud providers, finance and professional services and other large enterprises. Zayo provides customers with flexible solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth.
This role will be responsible for building and managing servers in the UNIX environment. The ideal candidate should be able to diagnose and troubleshoot issues within the operating system and applications. The role is responsible for backups/restores of databases of a variety of applications while maintaining and managing patches and monitoring systems.
- This position serves as the main support for 500 UNIX servers across the enterprise company.
- Our biggest customer is the Network Control Center (NCC): 75% of our systems are within the NCC while the remaining 25% service the enterprise company.
- The ideal candidate will provide patching, managing, system support, and old/new project support.
- This role will manage the integration of acquired companies, when applicable.
- Day-to-day will involve a variety of activities including integrations, system support, application support, maintaining building infrastructure, and ensuring projects move forward.
- Given that this team provides 24-hour, on-call system support, this position will require a flexible schedule.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field is required.
- Sun and related technology certifications are a plus.
- 5+ year’s previous system administration experience on multiple operating systems such as UNIX Solaris, Linux, and Windows.
- Energy Management System (EMS) application platforms such as Fujistu, Nortel, Ciena, CYAN, Nokia, Infinera, and Telco are not required but would be considered a plus.
- Previous experience working in a mid to large site/network.
- Previous experience working in a dynamic, high pressure production environment.
- Previous experience managing systems with a large customer base.
- Complex knowledge of system administration tools and processes.
- Good programming skills (C, Shell, UNIX, Perl, PHP)
- Strong understanding of networking/routing and protocols in a distributed computing
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with co-workers.
- Demonstration of strong decision making and leadership skills
- Ability to work as both a team player and independently on tasks of high complexity.
- Ability to multi-task and adjust priorities based on workload.
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
Zayo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.