Service Assurance Technician I
Location: Vancouver,WA     Department: Operations
Job Number: AL105
Service Assurance Technician I, Allstream Business Segment
Reports To: Manager Repair Center
Allstream business segment of Zayo Group, which delivers voice and data services to over 70,000 small and medium businesses.
Service Assurance Technicians support existing and new customers by serving as primary technical support for all customer repair issues.
(These responsibilities must be performed with or without reasonable accommodation.)
- Provides qualitative technical service assurance support to internal and external customers and external LEC including electronic trouble ticket entry and escalations.
- Routes problems and requests for support to the appropriate individual or group responsible for next level troubleshooting, and tracks progress of issue to ensure trouble tickets are processed and resolved and customer advised and updated.
- Responds to incoming support requests via intranet, Intra-office systems, email, voicemail etc.
- Performs customer repeat trouble analysis to determine if other factors are contributing to repeat issues.
- Provides real-time trouble status with planned and documented resolution methods and procedures.
- Completes first level network problem determination including testing, isolating, documenting and resolving transport/network issues
- Performs service order administration as required.
- Ensures consistent and effective communication exists between Service Assurance Center and its customers.
- Utilizes effective customer service, interpersonal communications and technical problem solving skills and techniques during frequent interaction with customers and external LEC contacts.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned
Level II and Above:
- Receives and responds to incoming calls to the Service Assurance Center from customers, Allstream technicians, and LEC contacts.
- Performs new service provisioning of transport services for data and voice services.
- Performs all installation functions of the Service Assurance Representative as well as provisioning all complex services into the Allstream Network to include all T1 and above products and services.
- Responsible for service assurance for all first and some second level network troubleshooting for switching, data services and transport including call routing, switch translations, data routing, internal network transport topology and last mile transport to customer demark.
- Supports day of cut trouble isolation.
- Logs, tracks, analyzes, and updates service tickets received in the Service Center by utilizing the ServiceNow system.
- Monitors activity recorded in ServiceNow system.
- Completes second level network problem determination including testing, isolating, documenting and resolving transport/network issues
- Remotely isolates and corrects trouble in applicable switches.
- Remotely isolates and corrects trouble in CPE devices, including Adtran 608, 616, 3200, Adit 600 Channel Banks, Routers, Switches and Firewalls.
- Builds translations for new customers’ service or for changes in customer dialing plans and adds translations for local and long distance dialing.
- Explains features, operations and interactions to customers and employees, including Field Service Technicians.
- Completes all T1 data designs through the Allstream data network.
Level III and Above:
- Provides service restoration for new customers.
- May serve as the on call technical resource for trouble escalations after hours on a rotational basis.
- Completes third level network problem determination including testing, isolating, documenting and resolving transport/network issues.
- Provides guidance to other technicians on repair and maintenance issues.
- Provisions all complex voice products including features in all Allstream switches.
- May mentor or coach lower level Service Assurance Technicians.
This position has a direct impact on customer satisfaction and some direct customer contact. Failure to install, maintain and repair equipment and/or to interact in a positive manner with customers can lead to customer dissatisfaction. Errors in performing technical work could potentially have an immediate, short-term impact on service. This position requires attention to detail and often complex customer interaction. Trouble shooting technical problems requires the use of somewhat advanced technical knowledge and complex testing equipment. No supervisory responsibility.
- Associates Degree in a technical or related field or equivalent in education, training, and experience.
- Experience performing as a telecommunications Central Office Technician or related function is required.
- Demonstrated electronics or telephone switching experience.
- Working knowledge of test equipment including voltmeters.
- Ability to work semi independently and with little direct supervision.
- Exposure to and/or knowledge of cable color-coding and methods for bonding and cleaning cables.
- Effective customer service and verbal communication skills.
- Strong dexterity and hand-eye coordination.
- Ability to read, interpret and follow complex maps, diagrams and schematics.
- Strong problem solving skills, the ability to make decisions with some latitude, and the ability to organize and prioritize work based on established guidelines.
Level II and Above:
- Working knowledge of data equipment including routers, DSLAMs, PSAX ATM aggregators along with familiarity with Frame Relay, ATM and VoIP networking.
- Working knowledge of transport equipment and services (may include M1/3 multiplexing, HDSL-II, Cisco Cerent, Fujitsu, White Rock, SONET equipment and Tellabs/Lucent/Alcatel DACs equipment).
- Working knowledge of Lucent 5E, Siemens EWSD, and Nortel DMS switching platforms and Centrex translations preferred.
Level III and Above:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a technical or related field or equivalent in education, training and experience preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as a telecommunications Central Office Technician or related discipline preferred.
- Advanced working knowledge of Allstream network operations and equipment preferred.
- CompTIA Network+, Cisco CCNA, Cisco CCNP, Adtran ATSA, Adtran ATSP, Juniper JNCIA and/or Juniper JNCIP certifications preferred.
- Familiarity with customer premise scenarios, wiring, LAN, etc.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience as a telecommunications Central Office Technician or related discipline preferred.
- Expert understanding of VoIP protocols, SIP signaling, network QOS, IP routing, and Ethernet switching.
- Experience in deploying and troubleshooting highly complex converged networks.
- Advanced knowledge of MPLS and routing protocols such as BGP, OSPF, EIGRP.
(The following are physical requirements of the position as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act)
Constantly requires bending at the waist, twisting of the upper body, kneeling, walking on uneven surfaces, squeezing and feeling with hands and crouching. Frequently requires operating foot controls, standing, walking, speaking and hearing. Occasionally requires sitting and keyboarding. Requires constant lifting and carrying of 1-10 pounds, frequent lifting and carrying of 11-20 pounds and occasional lifting and carrying of 21 or more pounds. Requires infrequent pushing and pulling of variable amounts of weight exceeding as much as 50 pounds. Must be able to perform primarily light work. Must be able to perform close detail work, operate mobile equipment and must possess good color acuity.
This position description is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills or working conditions associated with this position. While this description is intended to accurately reflect the position’s activities and requirements, management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties as necessary.
Zayo Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo Group does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Zayo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.