Senior Cloud Infrastructure Engineer-Allstream
Location: Vancouver WA US or Toronto ON CAD,     Department: IT
Job Number: AL129
Allstream is hiring a Senior Cloud Infrastructure Engineer in either Vancouver WA US or Toronto , ON Canada.
A Senior Cloud Infrastructure Engineer is responsible for the architecture, procurement, implementation, and documentation of the infrastructure for the operation of a secure and highly available infrastructure environment. This infrastructure environment is vital to the continuity of business operations, as well as for the availability of services to our customers, therefore a Senior Cloud Infrastructure Engineer will always work to improve the security, availability, and reliability of the infrastructure. You will work in a highly collaborative remote-work environment with daily meetings to communicate progress and challenges on projects. You will act as a go-to person for a broad scope of technologies for the other Engineers on the team, and act as a mentor to the others on the team.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Architect, engineer, procure, and implement solutions to solve the technological needs of the business.
- Provide technical insight to aid in the fulfillment of the technology strategy roadmap.
- Act as top tier support for technologies within the purview of the team.
- Collaborate and review with peers, stakeholders, senior leadership, and possibly external customers to advance projects or to resolve technical issues. Participation in small to large cross-discipline teams to collaboratively pursue projects is a major component of this role.
- Work with a dev-ops mindset and will look for ways to simplify and automate processes through the use of scripting, automation, and orchestration tools.
- Act as a mentor to other members of a geographically separated team and will actively share knowledge to help the team grow and advance together.
- Provide day to day system administration duties across infrastructure.
- Perform root cause analysis on faulted systems to reduce incidence of repeated failures.
- Participate in an on-call rotation including nights and weekends.
- Develops technical documentation.
- Participate in a change management process.
- Deep knowledge of cloud automation, PaaS, Software Defined Storage/Networking, fabric based infrastructure
- Deep knowledge of a blade server environment – configuration and best practices (HP, Cisco UCS)
- 5+ years’ in-depth experience with VMWare (ESXi, vCenter, clustering, VMWare switching, etc.)
- 5+ years’ in-depth experience with enterprise-class SAN/NAS arrays (NetApp, Nimble, EMC, etc.)
- Deep knowledge of Microsoft Windows Server (Server 2003 to Server 2016)
- Deep knowledge of various flavors of Linux and Unix (RedHat, CentOS, Solaris, AIX, etc.)
- Deep knowledge of Microsoft Exchange and Office 365
- Deep knowledge of networking protocols and working knowledge of network design/management
- Deep knowledge of load balancers, firewalls, and Next-Gen Firewalls (NGFW)
- Deep knowledge of various scripting, automation, and orchestration tools (PowerShell, Ansible, etc.)
- Ability to engineer and pursue complex solutions spanning multiple technical disciplines through the development lifecycle
- Vendor/VAR relationship management
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills a must including presentation skills (MS Visio, MS PowerPoint)
- Creative person with the ability to think outside of the box and design innovative approaches to unique challenges
- Goal oriented with high standards for quality and performance
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills with the ability to exercise mature judgment
- Must be highly analytical and detailed in planning, execution, and documentation of work
- The ability to handle stressful situations, tight deadlines, and demanding initiatives
- Experience operating in a high uptime service delivery environment
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple task assignments
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION, and EXPERIENCE which would enhance the incumbent’s success in the job:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, or related discipline, and/or related work experience.
- 5+ years’ experience in infrastructure engineering role
- Possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with a proven track record of executing calmly against tough deadlines.
- Able to present information concisely and clearly to all levels of management, including financial, technical, and executive level audiences.
- Proven track record of successfully implementing, championing, and overseeing the successful completion of multiple projects.
- Professional experience in IT Infrastructure, Telecommunications, and service-oriented organizations a plus.
- Familiarity with operating in an environment leveraging ITIL and any of the Agile methodologies. Works under limited to no supervision, both independently and within a team environment under the leadership of the Cloud Infrastructure Engineering Manager to support and advance the infrastructure that supports the operations of the business as well as the services provided to our customers.
SCOPE OF POSITON:
Works under limited to no supervision, both independently and within a team environment under the leadership of the Cloud Infrastructure Engineering Manager to support and advance the infrastructure that supports the operations of the business as well as the services provided to our customers.
(The following are physical requirements of the position as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act)
Requires continuous sitting, hearing and talking, occasional standing and walking, and infrequent bending at the waist, twisting of the upper body, kneeling and walking on uneven surfaces. Requires infrequent lifting and carrying of from 10-25 pounds. Requires frequent keyboarding work. Close detail work requiring visual acuity.
This position description is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills or working conditions associated with this position. While this description is intended to accurately reflect the position’s activities and requirements, management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties as necessary.
Zayo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.