OSP Technician – Splicer
Location: Atlanta,GA     Department: Engineering, Operations
Job Number: MR-1072
OSP Technician – Splicer
Reports To: Sr. Director, OSP
Zayo Group Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ZAYO) provides communications infrastructure solutions, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud infrastructure to the world’s leading businesses. Customers include wireless and wireline carriers, media and content companies, cloud providers, finance and professional services and other large enterprises. Zayo provides customers with flexible solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth.
The main job description of a Zayo cable splicer is to make new splices, maintain and repair services for Zayo customers. After fiber optic line installers place optical cables in position, cable splicers complete the connections by connecting individual fibers within the cable. Splicers also rearrange fibers when optical cable lines are changed. Splicing specifications are determined through Splice Engineering Package, (SEP), and network diagrams and are made by joining fibers and cables using different kinds of equipment. Splicers work on utility poles, platforms and bucket trucks, which can be extended to reach high places, and in manholes or in basements of buildings.
- Cable splicers review and analyze complex schematic drawings and use optical test instruments to determine defective fiber.
- Responsibilities include identifying problems and repairing and maintaining outdoor cable facilities in all types of weather — even during severe weather — when a problem is reported.
- Cable splicers are also responsible for being on the job at short notice to repair damaged cables until service is restored.
- Work will be required outside normal working hours. As most work is done during a maintenance window of 12AM-6AM
- Perform installation and installation, commissioning, troubleshooting and handling optical transmission systems.
- In manager absence, supervise peer techs and/or subordinates in normal work activities and continuation of ongoing projects.
- Perform OTDR testing and prepare splice packages according to requirements.
- Assist the Zayo Engineering Department with network construction activities and required Fiber Engineering paperwork including but not limited to: Route forms, Splice Engineering packages, Red Lines and As-Builts.
- Monitor contractor and sub-contractors performing conduit installation, cable placement, and splicing.
- Provide preliminary site surveys for building entrance construction requirements and equipment space availability.
- Provide support for contractor splicing activities. This support includes continuity testing, OTDR trace analysis, and optical power meter data of fiber optic cable, assembling splice packages, quality assurance, etc.
- Perform cable splicing and fiber acceptance testing.
- Monitor contractor, vendor and customer co-location installations, equipment placement and testing.
- Proactively seeking and identifying potential network problems and addressing these issues before becoming service-affecting events. This includes action to resolve issues identified during routine PMI’s conducted during defined timelines.
- Manage and/or participate in customer outage remediation tasks.
- Participate in local On Call schedule rotation work on weekends at night and holidays
- Minimum job qualifications of a cable splicer include the ability to lift and move up to 100 pounds
- You must be able to work while kneeling and stooping or crouching in confined spaces; be able to climb ladders and utility poles, and operate bucket trucks with hydraulic aerial lifts
- A cable splicer must have the ability to identify, by color code, communications cable pairs and optical fibers and pass employment tests
- Cable splicers cannot weight over 325 pounds in working clothes and safety gear due to limitations of standard industry equipment
- You must have a valid state driver’s license to be able to properly operate company vehicles
- Must be willing to travel regionally up to 15% of your time
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
Zayo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.