Manager, Network Planning
Location: Boulder,CO     Department: Engineering
Job Number: MR-1103
Manager, Network Planning
Reports To: Director, Waves Engineering
Zayo Group Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ZAYO) provides communications infrastructure solutions, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud infrastructure to the world’s leading businesses. Customers include wireless and wireline carriers, media and content companies, cloud providers, finance and professional services and other large enterprises. Zayo provides customers with flexible solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth.
The Network Planning Manager is responsible for the production of a team of Network Planning Engineers as well as creating optical transport capacity solutions to support delivery of managed wavelength services. Projects may encompass greenfield builds, capacity augments, grooms or decommission of circuits/systems. Budgetary and engineering skills will be used to support various stakeholders (i.e. Business Units, Engineering, Operations, Tier III, Field Services and Architecture) in the service delivery process. A successful candidate must possess a strong desire to learn optical transport technologies, define and communicate standardized specifications, manage team against productivity SLA’s and thrive in a fast-paced cross-functional organization. An aptitude to prioritize tasks and timelines, while building strong relationships are attributes we seek in qualified applicants.
- Develop capital budget requests; source equipment vendor quotes, create project budget and submit for approval. Create and submit purchase requisitions associated with network infrastructure projects. Manage and report on capital associated with ongoing network infrastructure projects. Create budgetary capital forecasts based on historical consumption rates of network resources.
- Create short, medium and long term proactive capacity plan for deployment of optical transport network infrastructure. Identify and track optical fiber availability to support deployment of greenfield line systems. Provide expert level network designs to achieve maximum diversity and reach, while minimizing cost and space/power consumption.
- Develop lowest cost per bit strategies and transform legacy networks to monetize investment in embedded base infrastructure while increasing overall system capacity. Create market development plans for long haul and metro system deployment in conjunction with Business Development, Product Management, Architecture and Sales. Update network documentation to facilitate pre/post sale service design and cost strategy.
- Research and report on existing capacity provisioned over 3rd party fiber IRU’s and develop groom mitigation plans. Support business case development for route transformation, IRU expiration and new route development. Obtain embedded base revenue, create budgetary costs and produce project plans for long haul and metro fiber grooms.
- Design, engineer and recommend hardware solutions to support network capacity augments and greenfield system builds. Produce engineering design packages to support implementation of network infrastructure. Generate circuit and/or system groom plans and site/system decommissioning projects as required.
- Create and maintain reporting systems for tracking spectral, chassis slot and ISP space/power capacity consumption. Provide quarterly executive summary of historical capacity consumption and future capacity exhaust timelines by route. Track, report and document greenfield shared infrastructure project kick-off and completion status.
- Develop, document and update spectral capacity planning strategy for flex grid line systems utilizing multiple modulation formats between each A-Z combination. Document required regen locations and maintain lifecycle system performance documentation tracking EOL OSNR margin from route commissioning through system capacity exhaust.
- Manage, measure and report on Network Planning Engineer production and development. Aggressively define SLA targets for completion timeline of standard tasks (i.e. spectral and chassis slot assignments, capacity augments, etc.). Coach, train and develop Network Planning Engineers to become more productive and efficient.
- Procure quotes and define designs for optical fiber circuits, space, power and telemetry. Submit intercompany requests to Fiber Solutions to design/build optical fiber spans, and to ISP for procurement of space and/or power. Conduct regular status calls with Fiber Solutions and ISP as needed in order to drive timely availability and delivery of optical fiber/space/power/telemetry.
- Evaluate and specify hardware/software/services for technical/cost/timeline feasibility. Work with equipment vendors and internal technical leadership (i.e. Architecture, Tier III, NCC, etc.) to confirm support for proposed solution. Analysis of multi-vendor interoperability and evaluation of standards-based versus proprietary solutions is required.
- Serve as Network Planning point of contact and escalation; conduct and attend project calls, support Infrastructure Engineering by providing technical oversight throughout project completion. Facilitate creation of standard processes and specifications to improve efficiency and timely service delivery. Provide and attend technical training as needed.
- Track, manage and report on network capacity utilization (channel/slot/port) using network documentation databases. Create lit channel/slot capacity assignments in documentation databases and systems to fulfill capacity requests.
- Query production network elements and management systems as needed to validate available channel/slot/port capacity. Provision logical services and document reservations in production network management systems and databases. Assist engineering and service delivery teams in locating available channel/slot/port capacity.
- Interface between equipment vendor(s) and Zayo stakeholders as needed to validate technical specifications, hardware and software interoperability, and hardware delivery timelines.
- Facilitate cross-functional communications amongst team members to foster timely resolution of project obstacles.
- Minimum Masters degree in Telecommunications, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or 10+ years relevant telecommunications engineering experience.
- Minimum 3 years of experience managing technical personnel.
- Expert knowledge of optical fiber technical specifications, testing and link engineering fundamentals.
- Expert knowledge of DWDM network architectures (i.e. FOADM/ROADM/PON/fixed and flex grid) and signal flow.
- Superior familiarity with telecommunications service protocol structure and testing (i.e. Ethernet/OTN/SONET/SDH/SAN).
- Proficiency on a minimum of (5) optical transport platforms (i.e. Ciena, Infinera, Nokia, Cisco, ADVA, Fujitsu, etc.).
- Understanding of telemetry (DCN) network design, IP subnetting and routing protocols (i.e. OSPF).
- Experience with data center and carrier hotel connectivity and telecommunications facility environments.
- MS Office application capabilities required (i.e. Excel/Visio/Word) and programming/scripting skills preferred.
- Written and verbal communication/negotiating skills required for technical/non-technical audiences.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision while being a constructive contributor to a team.
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
Zayo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.