Manager of IP Network Architecture
Location: Boulder,CO     Department: Engineering
Job Number: MR-1127
Manager of IP Network Architecture
Reports To: CTO of Transport Segment
Zayo Group Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ZAYO) provides communications infrastructure solutions, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud infrastructure to the world’s leading businesses. Customers include wireless and wireline carriers, media and content companies, cloud providers, finance and professional services and other large enterprises. Zayo provides customers with flexible solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth.
This position is to manage the IP network architecture team. You will develop an employee-oriented company culture that emphasizes quality, continuous improvement, key employee retention and development, and high performance.
This is a working manager position. Ideal candidate is a subject matter expert for multiple technologies relevant to the Zayo Enterprise Networks, which is an MPLS based multi-service backbone supporting layer 2 and layer 3 products and services. You will have experience designing, implementing, and documenting new technologies, as well as providing a top tier of troubleshooting and support for customers.
This is a hands-on position. You will build network, not white papers. You will know when to apply cheap and cheerful versus large scale, heavy duty solutions
In your previous role, you will have been responsible for providing guidance with network architecture, Ethernet and IP product design standards and enhancements, production network issues and escalations, and to engage in vendor relationships
You will face both scaling the network and providing additional features necessary for the Zayo Ethernet & IP services that our customers demand. You will be at a vendor level engineering knowledge.
You will have and be expected to to invent novel and original solutions to difficult problems.
- Own the analysis, definition, and continued development of the end-to-end Layer 2 & Layer 3 Architecture for Zayo
- Manage team members and groups to develop scalable network designs, solutions and policy recommendations
- Analyze and drive key platform decisions and directions, provide guidance to network planning and operations groups
- Support Zayo’s internal product groups by identifying and presenting their network-impacting requirements to the service activations and the network operations teams
- Support and lead development of Zayo’s growing network infrastructure through published Architecture design documents
- Promote Zayo’s Enterprise Networks product development
- Participate in discussions at various Standard Development Organizations such as NANOG, MEF, IETF and other conferences
Management Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Work with Human Resources staff to recruit, interview, select, hire employees
- Provide oversight and direction to the employees
- Coach, mentor and develop staff, including overseeing new employee onboarding and providing career development planning and opportunities
- Empower employees to take responsibility for their jobs and goals. Delegate responsibility and expect accountability and regular feedback
- Foster a spirit of teamwork and unity among department members that allows for disagreement over ideas, conflict and expeditious conflict resolution, and the appreciation of diversity as well as cohesiveness, supportiveness, and working effectively together to enable each employee and the department to succeed
- Lead employees using a performance management and development process that provides an overall context and framework to encourage employee contribution and includes goal setting, feedback, and performance development planning
- Provide effective performance feedback through employee recognition, rewards, and disciplinary action, with the assistance of Human Resources, when necessary
- Maintain transparent communication. Appropriately communicate organization information through department meetings, one-on-one meetings, and appropriate email, IM, and regular interpersonal communication
Technical Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Deep and substantial operational knowledge and experience with carrier-class routers, switches, and packet-optical platforms, such as Juniper, Cisco, Nokia-ALU, Infinera, and Ciena/Cyan
- Ability in representing Zayo at the Standards Development Organizations such as MEF, IEEE, ITU, IETF, ISO, etc.
- Skills in building Layer 2 & Layer 3 networks in both metro and long-haul applications. Experience modeling financial impacts of decisions
- Strong vendor negotiation skills
- Strong written and oral communications skills with the ability to influence others with your engineering solutions
- Knowledge and experience supervising employees in a team-oriented workplace preferred
- Proven interpersonal relationship building and employee coaching and development skills
- General knowledge of various employment laws and practices and employee relations
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 6 years of experience in engineering, architecture, or design of an ISP network
- Preferred Certification – JNCIE, CCIE, or MEF-CECP
- Other network related certifications a plus
- Must have worked in “zero downtime” environments previously
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
Zayo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.