Lead Data Center Technician
Location: Chicago,IL     Department: Colocation, Engineering, IT, Operations
Job Number: MR-1191
Lead Data Center Technician
Mount Prospect, IL
Reports To: Data Center Manager
Zayo Group Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ZAYO) provides communications infrastructure solutions, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud infrastructure to the world’s leading businesses. Customers include wireless and wireline carriers, media and content companies, cloud providers, finance and professional services and other large enterprises. Zayo provides customers with flexible solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth.
The Lead Data Center Technician provides an overall focus on positive proactive end-user customer service through phone, email, face-to-face, and Zayo’s internal case management systems. Lead Data Center Technicians are the first point of escalation for the local onsite team and assists with training as needed. Maintains accurate chain-of-custody logs of incoming and outgoing customer packages and ensures facility cleanliness. As a member of the Operations Team, the Lead Data Center Technician is expected to handle trouble tickets and remote hands requests from inception through resolution. Lead Data Center Technicians are tasked with the installation of a variety of circuits, including Ethernet, Sonet and Dark Fiber. Lead Data Center Technicians also monitor all business-critical systems (BMS, Security) and drive both internal and customer compliance to the company’s security standards, including training of Data Center Technicians on best practices.
- Create and maintain effective customer relationships, with customer satisfaction as the ultimate goal. Answering customer phone calls and emails within a timely and professional manner.l
- Responsible for ensuring installs, capacity checks, testing and close out of Customer orders are completed in a timely manner while meeting predefined installation intervals
- Responsible for ensuring all Tickets/Cases are resolved timely and in a professional manner.
- Responsible for Cost efficiency, Outage management, Change management and Compliance within Data Center
- Supervision of all Vendor Maintenance Activities within Data Center
- Perform physical security walkthroughs, administration of security sign-in procedures for all colocation customers, visitors, third parties and escorting them to designated work location while adhering and enforcing established company security standards.
- Accurately capture time invested on tasks and tickets/cases (customer installs, site expansions, outages, remote hands, etc) including capturing Cap Labor on timesheets and ensuring teams timesheets are completed, submitted and employee approved in a timely manner.
- Responsible for monthly recording and furnishing Customer Metered Power, in a timely manner to meet invoicing.
- Participate in the Market’s on-call rotation, based on Market needs.
- Monitor and Resolve technical issues and alarms with zColo Infrastructure, ensuring issue resolution.
- Responsible for following established ERP and Escalating to on-call staff or engineering support staff as necessary in a fast-paced data center environment.
- Maintain and Ensure facility cleanliness at all times and maintaining site “Tour Readiness” at all times
- Maintain working knowledge of all products, processes and systems, with an emphasis on PR/CSP submittal processes to ensure payment to Vendors occurs timely.
- First point of escalation for local Data Center Technicians – Assisting with training, answering questions related to process/procedures,.
- Enforcement of and Adherence to zColo Cabling Standards
- Support customer and/or auditor tours as needed.
- Responsible for Power Monitoring and Reporting
- Maintain accurate inventory of work tools, test equipment, and devices
- Manage weekly work schedules for 24x7x365 coverage as well as an on-call list in the event personnel need additional support
- Supervise the day to day duties of the onsite DCT personnel across one or multiple sites and working with Data Center Manager on performance management of Data Center Technicians.
- Responsibility and dependability are a must
- Candidates must have reliable transportation
- Trustworthy and ability to work independently with little or no supervision, if necessary
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to learn quickly and apply new knowledge and skills immediately
- Ability to assess situations and escalate properly, following internal procedures
- Ability to comprehend industry terminology, trends, and best practices related to the physical layers of facility infrastructure and or data processing architecture
- Knowledge of Windows operating systems both PC and server side
- Knowledge of basic hardware troubleshooting tasks; replacing hard drives, memory and motherboards a plus
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
- Familiar with DS1, DS3, ethernet and fiber circuits are a plus
- Ability to install and neatly manage copper, coaxial, Cat5/6, fiber and other network cable/connector types
- Knowledge of switches, firewalls and managed storage are a plus
- Other duties as assigned
Education and/or Experience:
- High school diploma required
- Previous NOC/SOC/IOC experience and/or data center experience preferred
- Previous experience monitoring critical infrastructure
- Basic experience and understanding of electrical and mechanical systems
- College degree in related discipline preferred
- Minimum 5 years Data Center Operations experience
This position requires the applicant to be able to work any of the shifts as part of a 24X7 coverage rotation. The ability to sit for prolonged periods in front of a computer is required. Work is done in an area where normal office noise and occasional construction noise is present. Dirt, dust and grease may be present. Work is occasionally conducted in an outside environment such as a dock, on the roof and in equipment enclosures. Duties may involve working outdoors for short periods of time, with potential exposure to typical North Eastern US climatic conditions. (May be required to work nights, weekends, and holidays as shift rotations require).
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
Zayo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.