Location: Bay Area,CA     Department: Engineering
Job Number: MR-1013
Bay Area, CA
Reports To: Field Operations Manager
Zayo Group Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ZAYO) provides communications infrastructure solutions, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud infrastructure to the world’s leading businesses. Customers include wireless and wireline carriers, media and content companies, cloud providers, finance and professional services and other large enterprises. Zayo provides customers with flexible solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth.
This position is primarily responsible for performing hands on functions and duties within the Zayo network. Technician will install, test or turn up a variety of telecommunications equipment including SONET, TDM, DWDM, IP or Ethernet based equipment. Field Technician also troubleshoots and handles maintenance for various equipment platforms and communications infrastructure. Technician will also test various types of fiber based infrastructure through the use of OTDR and power meter test equipment.
- Perform OTDR, Ethernet, BERT and SONET acceptance testing using standardized test equipment.
- Assist Zayo Engineering Department with network construction activities and required Fiber Engineering paperwork including but not limited to: Route forms, Splice Engineering packages, Red Lines and As Built documentation.
- Monitor contractor and sub-contractors performing underground construction, cable placement and splicing activities.
- Provide preliminary site surveys for building entrance construction and equipment space availability as per engineering requirements.
- Provide oversight and support for all contractor splicing/testing activity. This support includes analysis of OTDR traces and optical power meter data.
- Monitor contractor, vendor and customer co-location installations for correct equipment placement and testing to ensure all Zayo quality and safety standards are maintained.
- Participate in local On Call schedule rotation work on weekends at night and holidays.
- Perform physical installation, commissioning, troubleshooting and maintenance of optical transmission and data network systems.
- Installation and maintenance of Telecom power and grounding systems including D.C. power plants, rectifier shelves, UPS systems, grounding buses, etc.
- Proactively seeking and identifying potential network problems and addressing these issues before becoming service affecting events. This includes action to resolve issues identified during routine PMI’s conducted during defined timelines.
- Daily activities require driving within Bay Area
- Associated Degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years in the telecommunications industry including one or more of the following areas: DWDM, SONET, IP, Ethernet, D.C. Power systems.
- Must have working knowledge of structured cabling, routing, switching, and IP protocols.
- Must have 3 years familiarity with all types of outside plant construction and maintenance.
- Familiarity with MS Excel, Word, Visio, Google Earth, AutoCad and Salesforce.com
- Must be able to read and understand project specific documentation.
- The Field Technician will have a strong technical background and be proficient interfacing with all major transport and data equipment platforms, DC Power systems as well as knowledge of critical data center infrastructure.
- Field Technician will be expected to have an understanding of telecommunications standards (i.e. ITU, IEEE, NEBS) and possess strong analytical, technical and customer service skills while excelling in a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as OSHA/Company safety rules, MSDS, MOP’s, process and procedure documents as well as vendor documentation related to equipment deployed by the company.
- Ability to properly fill out documentation such as site surveys and audit reports.
- Field Technician will effectively communicate with customers, management, peers and contractors as well as other members of the organization.
- Able to work well with internal and external peers (Carrier/Vendor peers) on daily tasks and responsibilities toward a common goal.
- Ability to cover various work assignments during a variety of work hours to include day and night time activities. The technician position requires long hours of work when necessary to reach company goals and objectives. Occasional, overnight travel will be required.
- Operates company vehicle in accordance with safe driving practices and the company’s fleet policy. Ensure routine maintenance is performed on the vehicle as per the defined maintenance schedule. Technician will also conduct a daily inspection of vehicle to ensure its safe operating condition.
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
Zayo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.