Director, Underlying Rights
Location: Boulder or Denver,CO     Department: Legal
Job Number: MR-1007
Director, Underlying Rights
Boulder or Denver, CO
Reports To: Regional General Counsel, East Region
Zayo Group Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ZAYO) provides communications infrastructure solutions, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud infrastructure to the world’s leading businesses. Customers include wireless and wireline carriers, media and content companies, cloud providers, finance and professional services and other large enterprises. Zayo provides customers with flexible solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth.
This position will serve as Director for Underlying Rights, East Region primarily focused on right-of-way management and network damage claims in support of Zayo’s outside plant (OSP) plant organization. Zayo Group, LLC, one of the fastest growing networks in the industry, is hiring a highly skilled and experienced professional to support network expansion and construction. This position will report to the Regional General Counsel in Zayo’s Fiber Solutions business unit. The scope of work includes a variety of legal, business and operational matters including contract negotiation, management of ongoing network agreements, large project management, permitting support, vendor management, cost reduction, and collections related to network damage. This role will have opportunities to work directly with the General Counsel and other senior Zayo staff. We are seeking an exceptionally strong, highly motivated, intensely organized candidate who brings expertise and energy. The successful candidates will be an intelligent self-starter and team player.
- Negotiate, draft and manage agreements under which Zayo is granted rights to construct fiber optic and conduit assets as the company continues to develop and maintain its network. These include public franchises and right-of-way use agreements, utility pole attachments agreements, private easements, railroad licenses and the like.
- Lead the regional effort to collect damages from third parties who may damage Zayo assets and facilities in the field, including case investigation, settlement negotiations, and cooperation with the Zayo litigation team.
- Advocate on Zayo’s behalf to municipalities and other public agencies to secure critical underlying rights associated with network expansion, including meeting with city attorneys and other senior municipal staff to acquire rights, and attending city council and other regulatory meetings in support of such rights.
- Manage reduction of network expenses related to underlying rights incurred by Zayo, including franchise fees, pole attachment charges and land leases.
- Research Federal, state and local law to assert Zayo’s rights to access public rights-of-way and utility poles as a CLEC, and in support of the company’s cost reduction initiatives.
- Support the OSP organization related to its day-to-day construction activities.
- Support finance to negotiate and resolve billing disputes with underlying rights grantors/vendors.
- Support corporate development activities, including M&A due diligence and corporate integrations.
- Perform other duties and tasks as assigned from time to time to meet the dynamic needs of the business.
- Contracts: Strongly prefer a candidate with experience drafting and negotiating contracts. Familiarity with telecom agreements and/or industry a strong plus. Experience with billing and dispute resolution a plus. Law degree not required.
- Project Management and Organizational Skills: Strong project management and organizational skills essential. Contract and database management a strong plus. Proficiency in process improvement.
- Telecom and Regulatory Experience. Experience with state or local government, telecom networks, construction, municipal rights-of-way or analyzing contracts is a strong plus. Oil & Gas industry experience also a plus.
- Communication Skills: Excellent verbal and interpersonal skills required. Ability to communicate with internal and external parties through strong, organized writing and verbal skills. Comfortable communicating through social media. Relentless attention to detail.
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- RTD Bus Pass
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
Zayo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.