Director, Architecture and Capacity Planning
Location: Boulder/Denver, CO or Tulsa, OK,     Department: Engineering
Job Number: LH-1291
Director, Architecture and Capacity Planning
Boulder/Denver, CO or Tulsa, OK
Reports To: VP, Architecture and Planning
Zayo Group Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ZAYO) provides communications infrastructure solutions, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud infrastructure to the world’s leading businesses. Customers include wireless and wireline carriers, media and content companies, cloud providers, finance and professional services and other large enterprises. Zayo provides customers with flexible solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth.
The Director, Architecture and Capacity Planning for Zayo’s Fiber Solutions business is responsible for overseeing and participating in the day-to-day functions of a team of highly skilled and technical engineers. The qualified candidate will have experience managing technical teams of up to 5 individuals. Strong project management and organization skills are necessary to thrive in this role. Ability to communicate effectively and articulate technical information is an absolute must.
The team for which this position is responsible for performs a variety of critical functions in the implementation of our cell site backhaul and dedicated private network offerings. Day-to-day functions of this team include, but are not limited to:
- Creation and execution of test plans for hardware and software certification supporting the suite of services Zayo’s Fiber Solutions business provides.
- Definition of design and configuration standards. Create and distribute documentation supporting the standardized design and implementation of hardware solutions.
- Work closely with our engineering teams on complex solutions in support of customer orders, network growth or optimization, and infrastructure related projects
- Review hardware vendor technical bulletins for potential issues, which may impact Zayo’s network. Work with hardware vendors to create project plans, which quickly address critical issues within the network.
- Creation of network maintenance activities and corresponding scope of work and definition of any service impact.
- Work with product teams to enhance and develop Zayo’s products and services.
- Support operations groups with training, documentation enhancements or updates, and advanced level technical support.
- Procure hardware necessary for project implementation.
- Monitor capacity and utilization of Zayo’s Ethernet Cell Tower backhaul network. Identify required capacity augments, assisting engineering with implementation.
- Conduct and ongoing review of all deployed hardware to ensure configurations align with Zayo standards.
- Drive automation into the network enable quicker turn up of hardware and services, enhance product capabilities, and improve standardization.
- This role is responsible for defining new projects, managing workload across the team, and overseeing on schedule completion. The role will need to provide regular updates to leadership on key projects and initiatives. This individual should have a bias towards action when working through problems or challenges that may arise.
- Closely monitor levels of productivity and performance across the team. Provide regular feedback to employees and management on the team of priorities and performance. Manage workload effectively across all team members. Take part in personnel decisions to include hiring/firing, compensation, and roles/responsibilities.
- As a technical manager, this candidate is responsible for supporting and cross-training members of Zayo’s engineering and support staff. This includes identifying areas of need, compiling training documentation, and delivering training courses.
- As an Architecture Director, this individual will be responsible to develop and define hardware and configuration standards to be used by engineering and installation teams. Work with consumers of the information to improve documentation as needed.
- Work closely with Zayo product managers to develop and define products and services. Creation of collateral for internal and external teams.
- Work with all network operations teams to insure optimal performance of the network. Director will be responsible for escalations to other teams as needed to resolve underlying system/technology problems e.g. wavelength or fiber infrastructure.
- Serve as liaison for vendor related issues & escalations. Review Vendor Bulletins (PCNs), publish impact statements, and create plans for implementation of PCNs if applicable and in the best interests of the company. Track open issues with vendors to resolution and provide regular readouts on open vendor issues and recommendations for upgrades or removal / replacement of vendor technologies.
- Responsible for assisting with creation of network maintenance activities as well as addressing customer related escalations that may arise from these activities in regards to level of impact, scheduling, etc. Director may also be asked to assist in high profile after hour maintenance activity as needed. Flexible schedule to support these activities as needed is a must.
- Bachelor of Science degree (B.S.) or equivalent from four-year University or technical school.
- 5 to 8 years related experience in telecommunications or service provider industry.
- 2 years in a team leadership role overseeing technical engineering level teams and the deployment of Ethernet/IP and DWDM hardware.
- Experience with developing and executing hardware and software test plans within a lab environment is strongly desired.
- Proficient in routing and switching fundamentals and DWDM engineering practices,
- Experience with a broad list of network hardware to include, but not limited to:
- Telco Systems
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
Zayo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.