Data Center Technician – Oak Brook
Location: Oak Brook,IL     Department: Operations
Job Number: DR-12371
Data Center Technician – Oak Brook
Oak Brook, IL
Reports To: Data Center Manager
Zayo Group provides Communications Infrastructure services, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud services to the world’s leading businesses. In addition to high-capacity dark fiber, wavelength, Ethernet and other connectivity solutions, Zayo offers colocation and cloud services in its carrier-neutral data centers. Zayo provides clients with flexible, customized solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth and services.
The Data Center Technician 1 is charged with providing the highest level of customer technical assistance and account support at the zColo Data Center. Responsibilities include customer support, operational support, sales support, and system / facility administration.
- Customer Support: Assist the customer in the physical layout and installation of their equipment in secure cabinets. Ensure customer installations are in accordance with standard procedures and Service Level Agreements. Provide Tier 1 and 2 support to customers.
- Operational Support: Respond to alarms in accordance with procedures. Utilize technical expertise to analyze, troubleshoot and react to issues requiring immediate attention. When appropriate, escalate issues quickly and efficiently in order to solve problems within Service Level Agreement requirements. Complete assigned work orders in an efficient manner. Maintain detailed information regarding customer applications, security, and operational readiness. Ensure the quality of service delivery continues to meet requirements.
- System / Facility Administration: Contribute to the overall administration for the data center, for both internal and external users. Troubleshoot and assist in the maintenance of zColo facility support systems (cooling, electrical, etc.) May require managing and coordinating with appropriate external vendors.
- High School diploma or equivalent certifications and experience required.
- Must possess strong customer service attitude, and interpersonal skills.
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to execute multiple tasks efficiently and effectively.
- Demonstrated flexibility, organization and self-motivation.
- One (1) years-related work experience in a data center environment preferred.
- Experience working with customers to troubleshoot issues.
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies and procedures.
- Experience with data communications and telephony.
- Experience running networking crosses-connects.
- Familiarity with EIA/TIA 568A and B pin-outs.
- Good documentation skills required.
- Must be proficient using Microsoft Office software.
- Self-motivation and ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Flexibility to support 24 / 7 operations.
- Entry to Middle level
Years of experience
- 0-3 years
Certifications – are a plus
- CompTIA – A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+
- Cisco – CCENT
- High school diploma required.
- Previous NOC/SOC/IOC experience and/or data center experience preferred.
- College degree in related discipline preferred.
This position requires the applicant to be able to work any of the shifts as part of a 24X7 coverage rotation.The ability to sit for prolonged periods in front of a computer is required. Work is done in an area where normal office noise and occasional construction noise is present. Dirt, dust and grease may be present. Work is occasionally conducted in an outside environment such as a dock, on the roof and in equipment enclosures. Duties may involve working outdoors for short periods of time. (May be required to work nights, weekends, and holidays as shift rotations require).
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
Zayo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.