Location: Toronto, ON,     Department:
Job Number: BC1227
Position Title: Purchasing Agent
Reports To: Sr. Manager Strategic Souricng
Department: Corporate Operations Department
Company Description – Allstream
Allstream is a telecommunications leader working exclusively with business customers throughout the United States and Canada. Allstream’s communications technologies and services include a range of innovative highly-scalable IP, Cloud and Data solutions that help organizations communicate and collaborate more efficiently and profitably. The company is fueled by the knowledge, skills and spirit of its employees who work with customers to determine their business needs and contribute to their success. For more information, visit: www.allstream.com.
The Purchasing Agent will process requisitions as generated by the Allstream Business Inc. online requisition system called; “Oracle”. Orders will be created and sent to vendors as required to support the ongoing requirements of the organization. Purchasing requisition generation will take place at all levels within the company and may include transactional buying, contract review and negotiations, and credit card purchases. The position may have other collateral duties as assigned.
(These responsibilities must be able to be performed with or without reasonable accommodation)
- Administer existing purchase agreement terms such as pricing, volume discounts, payment terms, warranties, and product credits throughout the organization.
- Manage company vendor base through the “Approved Vendor” list, qualification process, and vendor evaluation.
- Perform Marketplace research via preparation and submittal of written quotation requests.
- Manage RFQ/RFP process within Allstream Business Inc. and with vendors.
- Obtain quality products that meet engineering and operational requirements at the lowest cost.
- Review purchase requisitions to ensure they are coded properly and authorized.
- Ensure timely delivery of product by the vendor.
- Provide status to requisition stakeholders on order progress and status.
- Obtain W-9 forms from vendors and set up new vendors in Allstream Business Inc.’s accounting system.
- Interface with Accounts Payable to resolve Purchase Order/Invoice discrepancies.
- Load vendor contracts and NDA’s into Salesforce
- Creation of vendor accounts in Saleforce.
- Provide cost and pricing research as requested by groups within the Company.
- Provide training of Oracle purchase requisitioning system to Oracle Users.
SCOPE OF POSITION:
The position reports to the Purchasing Manager and will have no direct reporting responsibilities for supervision. The position will require extensive collaborative communications skills and will require contact at all levels throughout the company. These communications will include users and requisitioners that range from very experienced to first time users of the systems.
One of the major responsibilities of this position is purchasing quality products at the best price and maintaining a smooth flow of materials and services in spite of changing prices, revision requirements, suppliers lead times, and fluctuating delivery schedules. The position should be constantly on the lookout for alternative buying opportunities that maximize value for the company, and minimize risk.
The Purchasing Agent exercises initiative and independent judgment in the resolution of issues related to the acquisition of goods and services, working within Corporate and purchasing policies and procedures. The Purchasing Agent prepares and negotiates company contracts within established corporate procedures. Decisions involving changes to purchase orders for pricing may be made by the Purchasing Agent if the sum total of the purchase order difference is equal to or less than the Purchasing Agent’s authorized signing authority. Otherwise the requisition will be resubmitted for managerial approval.
This position will have internal contacts with Accounts Payable personnel for the resolution of vendor payment issues. There will be frequent requirements to interact with Engineering and warehouse personnel. The most significant external contacts are with vendors.
- Demonstrated experience (5+ years) in purchasing or equivalent role, working with external vendors.
- Demonstrated ability to address and resolve routine and complicated procurement issues.
- Demonstrated understanding of billing, accounting, and data based systems.
- Computer skills including spreadsheet, word-processing and database programs.
- Ability to work autonomously.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from internal and external contacts.
- Bachelors Degree in Business, Management, Finance, or related discipline.
- Demonstrated knowledge in telephony, telecom, or related technical industry.
- Purchasing Industry certifications or endorsements.
This position description is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills or working conditions associated with this position. While this description is intended to accurately reflect the position’s activities and requirements, management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties as necessary.
Allstream is an Employment Equity Employer and values a diverse workforce. In support of our Employment Equity Program, women, aboriginal people, members of visible minorities, and/or persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply and self-identify in the application process.
Allstream is committed to treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence. Accommodations are available upon request for all applicants with a disability throughout the recruitment process. Please inform the recruiter if you require accommodation. We will work with all applicants to accommodate their individual accessibility needs.