Location: London,UK     Department: Sales Engineer
Job Number: CL-15006
Responsible for planning and designing customer optical network solutions which will be delivered over Zayo dedicated fibre to meet customer requirements. You will:
- ensure that these solutions are fully defined and costed to the required level of accuracy
- undertake vendor engagement and support in the process of defining, refining and delivering the customer network solution
- identify, quantify and mitigate risks throughout the bid cycle
- ensure a smooth transition into the projects organisation for delivery of the solution
- Provide comprehensive costings for customer network solutions to specified/identified levels of accuracy and risk.
- Provide technical input into customer bids such as RFP responses
- Support colleagues within sales team in developing customer network solutions, defining requirements and identifying appropriate technical solutions.
- Provide management and technical support to Project Management in delivering customer network solutions
- Manage the relationship with Zayo’s optical equipment partner suppliers’, liaising and negotiating closely with them to ensure the optical networking solutions produced are best value, robust, delivered within required timescales and meet the defined customer requirements.
- Agree schedules for customer and supplier contracts and define scope for requests for proposal/quotation issued to suppliers.
- Evaluate the commercial, project delivery and partnering capability of potential new partner suppliers and the new offerings of existing partner supplier.
- Adherence to, high quality project documentation within the Zayo management process in line with our ISO 9001 and ISO 18001 (Health & Safety) certification.
Key skills and experience requirements
You will be well experienced in the development of bid management processes and models which underpin the commercial viability of new opportunities. You will have the experience and authority required to engage with Zayo’s partner equipment suppliers (Layer 1, 2 and 3) at a senior level to ensure that the designs required by Zayo are comprehensive, on time and to budget.
You will have the breadth of business experience required to understand the implications of commercial decisions taken from first client engagement to delivery of a project and how they affect your work.
- Degree or equivalent level of qualification in a science or engineering related discipline
- Demonstrable training and continued professional development in telecommunications engineering preferably in transmission engineering.
- At least seven years relevant experience in telecommunications network design, deployment or operation
- A strong understanding of telecommunications transmission and data networks particularly optical networks
- Familiarity in fibre optic network design
- Familiarity with C/DWDM transmission standards and design methodologies
- Familiarity with Ethernet and IP network design
- Experience in full bid cycle (RFI/RFP/PQQ submissions, customer proposals/presentations and contract negotiations/development) for complex / high value technical solutions
- Experience of negotiating scope and risk allocation with suppliers and partners
- Familiarity with SDH and SAN Protocols
- Knowledge & understanding of optical fibre plant and associated deployment methods
- Understanding of Cloud platforms and technologies
- Project management methodology experience
- Process control/management and/or ISO 9002 experience
- Capability to understand complex technological principles
- Capability to apply technical understanding to the development of effective network designs meeting customer requirements
- Capability to accurately and concisely document solutions in a clearly understandable and unambiguous format leading to authorship of technical schedules
- Capability to develop accurate but clearly understandable cost models for customer networks
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Commercially aware and astute. Understanding and appreciation of supplier–customer dynamics and general contracting principles
- Effective presentation skills to both internal and external audiences
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Visio and GIS applications (e.g MapInfo)
- Negotiation skills