Location: Englewood, Ashburn or Oakbrook,CO, VA, or IL     Department: Engineering
Job Number: VD-12119
Purpose of Position:
Storage Engineer is responsible for the strategic planning, detailed architecture design, and engineering of all storage, backup, and recovery technologies by performing the following duties:
- Ensuring optimal performance of storage subsystems
- Responsible for capacity management and reporting of storage subsystems and backup products
- Document technical problems, resolutions, and processes for assigned tasks and projects
- Provide consistent follow-up on incidents/changes until long term objectives are completed
- Provides technical consultation on current and proposed systems to other organizations and clients
- Reviews cost analyses and vendor comparison reports to ensure cost-effective and efficient operations
- Performing testing in preparation of storage related hardware or software upgrades
- Recommends vendor/approach and presents to senior management
- Develop and conduct training for Tier II and systems engineers to further develop the storage expertise of the staff
- Required to be a part of an on-call rotation, and will occasionally be responsible for after-hours maintenance work
- Other duties as assigned by management
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Understanding of capacity, performance, trending, tuning – storage resource management
- Experience with RAID group configurations and optimizing performance of the SAN
- Installation and configuration of multi-pathing software (i.e. PowerPath etc.)
- Configuring the SAN to operate with VMware and other hypervisors
- Ability to run proof of concept and write use cases
- Must be able to maintain ownership of vendor relationships and ongoing technology assessments
- Ability for oral and written communication with the highest levels of management including the ability to effectively communicate technical information to remote locations.
- Solid understanding of storage networking fundamentals, concepts, and components, including storage subsystems, SCSI, Fibre Channel, switches, iSCSI, HBAs, virtualization, zoning, LUN masking, LVM , etc.
- Can work alone and be a self-starter
Education and/or Experience:
- Experience administering enterprise and mid-tier storage subsystems and understanding of concepts such as split-mirror, snapshot backups and remote storage replication
- Work experience in large hosting or campus data center environment
- Strong industry experience in Enterprise Storage product development
- 5 + years industry experience
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Computer Science or Management Information Systems
Most work is done in an area where normal office or data center noise is present.
Zayo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.