Solutions Engineer – San Francisco
Location: San Francisco,California     Department: Sales
Job Number: DR-12374
Purpose of Position:
- Provide pre-sales engineering support for direct and indirect sales efforts for the Zayo local sales team.
- Extract business and technical requirements from prospective clients and architect hosting solutions that meet those requirements leveraging the Zayo Solutions Portfolio.
- Interact with operations and platform engineering teams and disseminate pertinent information to the sales force for the purpose of enhancing our ability to deliver supportable solutions.
- Architect solutions according to industry best practices.
- Transfer personally acquired technical knowledge to the rest of the Zayo sales organization.
- Drive increased close rates of large or complex opportunities within the local market to accelerate revenue growth for the company.
- Gather business and technical requirements from prospective Zayo customers and create supportable solutions that meet those requirements leveraging capabilities within the Zayo solutions portfolio.
- Create high-quality customer facing deliverables to convey the optimal design that meets the aforementioned requirements in a way that positions Zayo above competing solutions and drives increased sales.
- Conduct subject matter training sessions with members of the Zayo sales organization to improve technical understanding of our capabilities.
- Assist in the creation of competitive market data to ensure Zayo solutions are appropriately priced, and appropriately pitched against competing solutions.
- Provide consultative guidance to clients and prospective clients on infrastructure related issues.
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
Strong fundamental understanding of the full operating stack of the following technologies:
- Microsoft Windows Server Technologies – Windows Server 2008/2012
- Hypervisor based virtualization technologies, namely VMWare ESX (vSphere) – (critical) and Microsoft HyperV or Zen (Less critical).
- Enterprise SAN, NAS and DAS storage subsystems, including presentation fabrics (Fiber Channel, iSCSI, SAS) and various Storage Replication technologies
- Strong understanding of Internet Technologies, IP, DNS, Layer 3/Routing, OSI Model
- Data Center Technology such as Power Distribution and Redundancy Technologies, Cooling Technologies, Data Center Tiering Standards
- Solid understanding of Disaster Recovery processes, enabling technologies and DR Solution design.
- Experience designing highly available IT infrastructure.
- Cloud Computing – Private Cloud Technology, Public Cloud Technology, Cloud computing vendor landscape.
- Enterprise firewall infrastructure
- Security functions such as IDS/IPS, VPN/Encryption & SIEM
- Load Balancer technologies, namely F5
- Understanding of application technologies such as MS SQL, MS Exchange, Web Servers such as IIS, MS SharePoint and Linux based applications such as the LAMP stack.
- Linux based server operating systems.
- Various WAN standards and technologies (Metro Ethernet, MPLS, Optical, etc.)
- Intimate knowledge of industry best practices and emerging technologies.
- Strong written and verbal skills.
- Strong presentation skills.
Education and/or Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent
- 4-year technical degree preferred
- Direct experience as a Solutions Engineer/Pre Sales Engineer for an IT Services company, preferably in the Managed Services/Managed Hosting or Cloud Computing space
- 5-7 years experience engineering and managing IT infrastructure comprised of enterprise network, server and storage elements, including Virtual (VMWare) environments.
- Experience sizing data center footprints to meet space, power, and cooling requirements based upon high-level equipment lists.
- Experience sizing virtualization environments.
Most work is done in an area where normal office noise is present.
Zayo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.