Regional Operations Manager
Location: Pacific Region,     Department: Operations
Job Number: VB-13095
Regional Operations Manager
Reports To: VP Data Center Operations
Zayo Group provides Communications Infrastructure services, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud services to the world’s leading businesses. In addition to high-capacity dark fiber, wavelength, Ethernet and other connectivity solutions, Zayo offers colocation and cloud services in its carrier-neutral data centers. Zayo provides clients with flexible, customized solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth and services.
The Regional Director/Manager of Data Center Operations will drive operational excellence within the Pacific geographic region. The Regional Director/Manager will oversee a team of data center operations managers, data center technicians, collaborate with Engineering, Construction, Project Management and vendor relationships. Be responsible for critical facilities management, infrastructure management, customer implementations, and security of the zColo data center portfolio. The Regional Director/Manager will be client-facing, supporting sales and customer relationship management efforts. The Regional Director/Manager will have financial responsibility and will develop and implement strategies that impact the financial performance of the region data center portfolio.
This position manages a team ensuring that all tasks are scheduled, forecasted, completed and reported as committed. This role requires the ability to create and maintain a cohesive and functional alignment of all internal and external resources required to successfully implement the assigned projects.
- Regional Program Management – Develop and implement operating standards for all facets of data center operations management, including critical facilities management, operations infrastructure management, and data center security. Ensure consistency across the region portfolio.
- Technical Operations Leadership – Manage the critical infrastructure to achieve 100% uptime in accordance with customer SLAs. Identify and manage design risks in the portfolio; participate in the development of remediation plans where required. Provide input as required to design teams for future data center development, vendor/product selection, commissioning standards, etc. Provide technical leadership in the case of incidents and events impacting any critical systems. Interface with customers when appropriate during events and post-mortem.
- Monitoring Tools & Systems – Sponsor/Owner of plans to upgrade controls and monitoring solutions, including the BMS/BAS platform and customer portal. Partner with Engineering & IT teams to deliver and standardize these solutions across the region portfolio.
- Manage the energy procurement strategy for the region data center portfolio. Develop green power programs and efficiency improvement plans.
- Talent Management – Lead a team of data center operations managers and underlying staff in the critical support groups (critical facilities, infrastructure technicians, security, etc.). Develop a bench of technical talent within the organization.
- Financial Performance – Evaluate efficiency of the operating model. P&L responsibility at the operating level.
- Customer – Empower the data center operations team to provide excellent customer service and appropriately address any customer issues; support sales efforts and ongoing customer relationship management efforts.
- Expansion – Participate in the due diligence and integration of expansion opportunities, including greenfield development, mergers and acquisitions.
- 8+ years of critical facility experience in the data center environment
- Knowledge of complex electrical systems including UPS and standby power systems
- Knowledge of complex mechanical systems including water towers, chillers, high volume air handling units and water systems
- Knowledge of controls and monitoring systems including BMS, CMMS, SACS, DCIM
- Experience managing a portfolio of colocation data centers
- Experience developing and implementing regional operating standards
- Experience managing support vendors and contractors on a regional scale
- Experience supporting sales efforts and providing excellent customer service
Education and/or Experience:
- College/University degree is a bonus but not a requirement
- Minimum of 5+ years data center experience
- Minimum 3+ years supervisory experience
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations:
- LEED certification is a bonus but not a requirement
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job.
This position requires the applicant to be able to work any of the shifts as part of a 24X7 coverage rotation. The ability to sit for prolonged periods in front of a computer is required. Work is done in an area where normal office noise and occasional construction noise is present. Dirt, dust and grease may be present. Work is occasionally conducted in an outside environment such as a dock, on the roof and in equipment enclosures. Duties may involve working outdoors for short periods of time, with potential exposure to typical US climatic conditions.
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
Zayo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.