GIS Support Analyst
Location: Denver,CO     Department: Product
Job Number: LH-1022
GIS Support Analyst
Reports To: Property Tax Manager
Zayo Group provides Communications Infrastructure services, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud services to the world’s leading businesses. In addition to high-capacity dark fiber, wavelength, Ethernet and other connectivity solutions, Zayo offers colocation and cloud services in its carrier-neutral data centers. Zayo provides clients with flexible, customized solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth and services.
The Property Tax Department, located in downtown Denver, is required to report the location of all of the fiber throughout the United States and Canada by each taxing authority (state, county, city, school, and special districts). The GIS Support Analyst is an integral part of ensuring the company is in compliance with all the regulatory reporting requirements.
The fiber data is maintained in GE’s Smallworld Physical Network Inventory platform and the Geo Spatial Analysis (GSA) software is used to analyze that data. With the fiber data overlaid onto the taxing jurisdiction boundaries, the length of fiber in each jurisdiction can be derived. The GIS Support Analyst will be responsible for the following duties:
- Research and obtain taxing jurisdiction boundaries for each state by searching website, contacting the GIS Department at state and county levels, or using other resources to determine and acquire the necessary shapefiles to determine the location of all taxing jurisdictions.
- Assisting with building our data on leased fiber.
- Develop and maintain a database of fiber that is currently being leased by the company from other telecommunication companies. The data should include the location of the leased fiber, the general terms of the lease, and should link the lease contract currently maintained in electronic format in Sales Force to the fiber map.
- Develop and maintain a database of company owned fiber that is being leased out to other business entities. The data should include the number of fibers leased out and who is responsible for reporting the fibers to the taxing authorities.
- Utilize Open Source, Esri, and/or Mapinfo GIS software to compile data and produce reports and export data to Microsoft Excel for reporting purposes.
- Develop user friendly queries and reports for other members of the Property Tax Department to utilize.
- Assist other teams with various, ad-hoc GIS requests.
- A degree in Geography/GIS or other closely related discipline with a strong focus on geographic concepts and principals; or 3+ years of demonstrated real world experience.
- Extensive knowledge of Esri’s ArcGIS suite of products, MapInfo, or similar GIS software including vector data creation and management.
- Strong IT skills with the ability to decipher IT vs GIS issues and route accordingly.
- Strong desire to learn other GIS applications and data solutions such as GE Smallworld and a willingness to help non-GIS personnel learn and understand the advantages of having accurate GIS data.
- Passionate about GIS and Application development.
- Desire to work in a fast paced environment where skill sets will develop quickly.
- Desire to work in a distributed/virtual team environment with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work across functional boundaries.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a number of variables in dynamic situations.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to view issues and concerns from multiple perspectives, and to keep the “big picture” in focus.
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
Zayo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.