Fiber Optic Cable Technician
Location: Atlanta,GA     Department: Operations
Job Number: DR-12417
Zayo Cable Splicer’s Job Description
Zayo Group provides Communications infrastructure services, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud services to the world’s leading businesses. Cable splicers, also referred to as cable splicing technicians or line installers or repairers, construct and maintain Zayo’s vast networks of cables. These cables transmit the optical power needed to provide services our customers.
The main job description of a Zayo cable splicer is to make new splices, maintain and repair services for Zayo customers. After fiber optic line installers place optical cables in position, cable splicers complete the connections by connecting individual fibers within the cable. Splicers also rearrange fibers when optical cable lines are changed. Splicing specifications are determined through Splice Engineering Package, (SEP), and network diagrams and are made by joining fibers and cables using different kinds of equipment. Splicers work on utility poles, platforms and bucket trucks, which can be extended to reach high places, and in manholes or in basements of buildings.
Cable splicers review and analyze complex schematic drawings and uses optical test instruments to determine defective fiber. Responsibilities include identifying problems and repairing and maintaining outdoor cable facilities in all types of weather — even during severe weather — when a problem is reported. Cable splicers are also responsible for being on the job at short notice to repair damaged cables until service is restored.
- Minimum 5 years experience in cable splicing.
- Minimum job qualifications of a cable splicer include the ability to lift and move up to 100 pounds.
- You must be able to work while kneeling and stooping or crouching in confined spaces; be able to climb ladders and utility poles; and operate bucket trucks with hydraulic aerial lifts.
- A cable splicer must have the ability to identify, by color code, communications cable pairs and optical fibers and pass employment tests.
- Cable splicers cannot weight over 325 pounds in working clothes and safety gear per industry standard equipment regulations.
- You must have a valid state driver’s license to be able to properly operate company vehicles.
- Must be willing to travel regionally up to 15% of your time.
- Work will be required outside normal working hours. As most work is done during a maintenance window of 12AM-6AM.
Applicant will be required to perform fusion splicing, put together a splice case and perform an eye color test in addition to regular Q&A.
Zayo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.