Ethernet Grooms & Optimization Manager
Location: Boulder / Denver,CO     Department: Engineering
Job Number: CH-3410
An Ethernet Grooms Manager is responsible for overseeing and participating in the day to day functions of a team of highly skilled and technical engineers and technicians. A good candidate will have experience managing technical teams of 5 individuals in size. Strong project management and organization skills are a must to thrive in this role. Ability to communicate effectively and articulate technical information is a huge plus. This individual will be proficient in routing and switching fundamentals as well have experience with a broad list of network hardware. Experience in a network optimization role a plus.
The team for which this position is responsible for overseeing performs a variety of functions with specific focus on improving network efficiency, performance, and standardization. Day to day functions of this team include, but are not limited to:
- Identify and define optimization opportunities which will reduce network operating expense and/or improve performance
- Create project proposals outlining costs, savings, timeline, and effectively communicate proposed projects to management for approval.
- Engineer, design, and logically implement all proposed service changes with minimal impact to the customer services as possible. This will include generating proper statement of work documentation, updating service designs, and implementing necessary configurations.
- Implement configuration standards for all customer services.
- Maintain reporting on project status and open items.
- Keep all service level documentation current over the course of a project.
- Work directly with Engineering and Architecture on network integrations and special projects
- Create and deploy Maintenance Requests for after-hours groom and network maintenance
- Work directly with field support staff during maintenance windows to implement solutions.
- Project Management: The manager is responsible for defining new projects, managing workload across the team, and overseeing on schedule completion. The candidate will need to provide regular updates to leadership on key projects and initiatives. This individual should have a bias towards action when working through problems or challenges that may arise.
- Team Management – Ability to closely monitor levels of productivity and performance across the team. Provide regular feedback to employees and management on the team of priorities and performance. Manage workload effectively across all team members. Take part in personnel decisions to include hiring/firing, compensation, and roles/responsibilities.
- Technical Training: As a technical manager, this candidate is responsible for supporting and cross-training members of Zayo’s engineering and support staff. This includes identifying areas of need, compiling training documentation, and delivering training courses.
- Network Documentation: As Ethernet Grooms Manager, this individual will be responsible for making sure that network documentation is accurate and current. Ability to work with others to improve documentation as needed.
- Network Performance Management: Candidate will work with all network operations teams to insure optimal performance of the network. Manager will be responsible for escalations to other teams as needed to resolve underlying system/technology problems or requirements impacting project implementation timeline. g. wavelength or fiber infrastructure delays or trouble.
- Network Maintenance Support: Candidate will be responsible for assisting with creation of network maintenance activities as well as addressing customer related escalations that may arise from these activities in regards to level of impact, scheduling, etc. Manager may also be asked to assist in high profile after hour maintenance activity as needed. Flexible schedule to support these activities as needed is a must.
Education and Experience:
Ideal candidate has a Bachelor of Science degree (B. S.) or equivalent from four-year University or technical school and 5 to 8 years related experience in telecommunications or service provider industry. Candidate will have minimum of 2 years in a team leadership role overseeing technical engineering level teams.
Zayo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.