Director, Technical Accounting
Location: Boulder or Denver,CO     Department: Accounting, Finance
Job Number: LH-1005
Director, Technical Accounting
Boulder or Denver, CO
Reports To: Senior Director, Corporate Accounting, SEC Reporting & Technical Accounting
Zayo Group provides Communications Infrastructure services, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud services to the world’s leading businesses. In addition to high-capacity dark fiber, wavelength, Ethernet and other connectivity solutions, Zayo offers colocation and cloud services in its carrier-neutral data centers. Zayo provides clients with flexible, customized solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth and services.
The Director of Technical Accounting will be responsible for managing technical accounting for consolidated and product group transactions. The ideal candidate will have the ability to stay appraised of, research and arrive at well-reasoned conclusions on technical accounting issues. They will have clear and concise written documentation of GAAP applicable to new transactions, and implement requisite operational and documentation changes arising from new GAAP and SEC rules. Effective communication skills with senior and executive management for all levels and departments of our company.
- Perform technical research on complex matters and effectively communicate accounting issues to business partners, ensuring that relevant accounting issues are identified, debated, resolved and documented
- Serve as a key member of the team for implementation of the new revenue (ASC 606) and lease (ASC 842) recognition standards, effectively partnering with other internal personnel and external consultants
- Review contractual arrangements with business partners to ensure proper accounting
- Stay up-to-date on accounting changes impacting industry, provide training to accounting and finance teams on technical pronouncements and GAAP interpretations as necessary to support an informed, up to date accounting department
- Prepare and/or review accounting memoranda supporting complex transactions and present to senior management
- Support cross-functional implementation of all other new accounting standards, serving as the accounting subject matter expert
- Support accounting diligence on acquisitions
- Partner with Financial Reporting Manager on completion of purchase accounting
- Review and approval of capital and straight-line leases
- Review pension journal entries, annual pension financial statement audit and third party valuation reports
- Evaluate quarterly third party valuation of certain stock-based compensation awards, including validation of inputs and expected results as well as documentation of such evaluation and validation
- Perform impairment testing as needed
- Establish, document and educate others on Company accounting policies
- Support SEC Reporting process and accounting projects as needed
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance from a four-year college or university and a minimum of 8 years of collective public accounting and private company experience required.
- 3-8 years of work experience in public accounting. Big-4 Public Accounting experience preferred. Must have at least “Top Ten” Public Accounting experience
- CPA required.
- Must have minimum of 3 years Technical Accounting experience. Experience with the following areas of accounting preferred: Consolidations, Segments, Lease Accounting, Revenue Recognition, Stock-based compensation, M&A transactions, Goodwill, Debt modification, Impairment assessments, Non-monetary exchanges, Pensions.
- Experience in the telecommunications industry and/or with international companies preferred.
- Advanced computer skills, especially in Excel.
- Effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong organization, project management, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- Exhibits a sense of urgency towards attaining department goals and meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrates an interest in continuous improvement and challenging status quo.
- Self -motivated individual with demonstrated experience and continuous desire in improving and streamlining processes.
- Must be able to effectively build relationships with other departments and all levels of leadership
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
Zayo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.