Data Center Technician- San Diego
Location: San Diego,CA     Department: Operations
Job Number: VB-14008
Data Center Technician- San Diego
San Diego, CA
Reports To: Data Center Manager
Zayo Group provides Communications Infrastructure services, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud services to the world’s leading businesses. In addition to high-capacity dark fiber, wavelength, Ethernet and other connectivity solutions, Zayo offers colocation and cloud services in its carrier-neutral data centers. Zayo provides clients with flexible, customized solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth and services.
The Data Center Technician provides an overall focus on positive pro-active end-user customer service through phone, email, face-to-face, and our internal case management systems. Monitors all business-critical systems and escalates issues accordingly. Maintains accurate chain-of-custody logs of incoming and outgoing customer packages and ensures facility cleanliness. As a member of the Operations Team, the technician is expected to handle trouble tickets and remote hands requests from inception through resolution. Technicians are tasked with the installation of a variety of circuits, including Ethernet, Sonet and Dark Fiber. Operations Technicians also monitor all business-critical systems (BMS, Security) and drive both internal and customer compliance to the company’s security standards.
- Create and maintain effective customer relationships, with customer satisfaction as the ultimate goal.
- Answering customer phone calls and emails from clients requesting technical assistance.
- Resolve tickets as quickly and thoroughly as possible.
- Meet pre-defined installation intervals for risers and interconnects.
- Accurately capture time invested on tasks (installs, outages, remote hands, etc)
- Troubleshooting complex technical issues in a fast-paced data center environment.
- Perform computer/server hardware and software support.
- Work through colocation and ISP customer issues and escalate to on-call or engineering support staff as necessary.
- Perform physical security walkthroughs, administration of security sign-in procedures for all colocation customers, visitors, third parties and escorting them to designated work location.
- Monitor, resolve, and escalate issues within critical facilities infrastructure.
- Handle all customer and internal shipping logs and maintaining facility cleanliness.
- Maintain a working knowledge of all products, processes and systems.
- Candidate will be added to the Market’s on-call rotation, , based on Market needs.
- Adherence and enforcement of established company security standards.
- Responsibility and dependability are a must
- Candidates must have reliable transportation.
- Trustworthy and ability to work honestly with little or no supervision, if necessary.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to learn quickly and apply new knowledge and skills immediately.
- Ability to assess situations and escalate properly, following internal procedures.
- Knowledge of Windows operating systems both pc and server side.
- Familiarity with basic hardware troubleshooting tasks, replacing hard drives, memory and motherboards a plus
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
- Some familiarity with DS1, DS3, Ethernet and dark fiber circuits are a plus.
- Must have ability to install and neatly manage copper, coaxial, Cat5/6, fiber and other network cable/connector types
- Knowledge of switches, firewalls and managed storage are a plus.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma required.
- Previous NOC/SOC/IOC experience and/or data center experience preferred.
- College degree in related discipline preferred.
This position requires the applicant to be able to work any of the shifts as part of a 24X7 coverage rotation.The ability to sit for prolonged periods in front of a computer is required. Work is done in an area where normal office noise and occasional construction noise is present. Dirt, dust and grease may be present. Work is occasionally conducted in an outside environment such as a dock, on the roof and in equipment enclosures. Duties may involve working outdoors for short periods of time.
(May be required to work nights, weekends, and holidays as shift rotations require).
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time
Physical Requirement Codes:
NP Not Present
O Occasional (up to 25% of time)
F Frequent (26% – 74% of time)
C Constant (75% – 100% of time)
|Standing/walking: Remaining on one’s feet in an upright position at a workstation or moving about a work area.||X|
|Sitting: Remaining in the normal seated position.||
|Carrying: Moving an object, usually by holding it in hands or arms or on shoulders.||X|
|Lifting: Raising or lowering an object from one level to another using hands, arms and/or shoulders, back and legs.||X|
|Pushing/pulling: Exerting force on an object so that the object moves away from/toward the force.||X|
|Climbing: Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, ramps, poles and the like, using feet and legs, and/or hands and arms.||X|
|Stooping: Bending body downward and forward by bending body down at the waist.||X|
|Kneeling: Bending legs at the knees to come to rest on knee or knees.||X|
|Crawling: Moving about on hands and knees or hands and feet.||X|
|Reaching: Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.||X|
|Handling: Seizing, holding, grasping, turning or otherwise performing precision work with hands.||X|
|Crouching: Bending the body downward and forward by bending at leg and spine.||X|
|Bending/twisting: Continual, intermittent flexion or rotation of the wrist or spine.||X|
|Talking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word.||X|
|Hearing: Receiving detail information through oral communication.||X|
|Computer usage or other special equipment to be operated.||X|
Zayo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.