Data Center Technician
Location: Boston,MA     Department: Operations
Job Number: DR-12454
The Data Center Technician provides an overall focus on positive pro-active end-user customer service through phone, email, face-to-face, and our internal case management systems. Monitors all business-critical systems and escalates issues accordingly. Maintaining accurate logs of incoming and outgoing customer equipment and ensuring facility cleanliness.
• Create and maintain effective customer relationships, with customer satisfaction as the ultimate goal.
• Answering customer phone calls and emails from clients requesting technical assistance.
• Resolve tickets as quickly and thoroughly as possible.
• Troubleshooting complex technical issues in a fast-paced data center environment.
• Perform computer/server hardware and software support.
• Work through colocation and ISP customer issues and escalate to on-call or engineering support staff as necessary.
• Perform physical security walkthroughs, administration of security sign-in procedures for all colocation customers, visitors, third parties and escorting them to designated work location.
• Monitor, resolve, and escalate issues within critical facilities infrastructure.
• Handle all customer and internal shipping logs and maintaining facility cleanliness.
• Maintain a working knowledge of all products, processes and systems.
• Candidate will be responsible for off hour dispatches for customer or site needs
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
• Responsibility and dependability are a must!
• Candidates must have reliable transportation.
• Trustworthy and ability to work honestly with little or no supervision, if necessary.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to learn quickly and apply new knowledge and skills immediately.
• Ability to assess situations and escalate properly, following internal procedures.
• Knowledge of Windows operating systems both pc and server side.
• Familiarity with basic hardware troubleshooting tasks, replacing hard drives, memory and motherboards.
• Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
• Ability to install and troubleshoot DS1, DS3, Ethernet and dark fiber circuits are a must.
• Knowledge of switches, firewalls and managed storage are a plus.
• Cabling experience (Fiber, Coax, and Ethernet) is a plus.
• Excellent understanding of copper and fiber infrastructure for circuit delivery.
• Ability to forecast and track fiber capacity burn rates, so we can properly plan and implement additional builds.
• General knowledge of AC/DC power distribution with a datacenter (utility, ATS, Generator, UPS, distribution panels, etc).
• General knowledge of Datacenter cooling (Dry coolers, condensers, CRACs) along with some familiarity on addressing alarms.
• Strong interpersonal skills to build and maintain working relationships with vendors, customers and other providers within the building.
• Other duties as assigned.
• High school diploma required.
• Previous NOC/SOC/IOC experience and/or data center experience preferred.
• College degree in related discipline preferred.
This position requires the applicant to be able to be “on-call” and respond to site issues when off shift. The ability to sit for prolonged periods in front of a computer is required. Work is done in an area where normal office noise and occasional construction noise is present. Dirt, dust and grease may be present. Work is occasionally conducted in an outside environment such as a dock, on the roof and in equipment enclosures. Duties may involve working outdoors for short periods of time, with potential exposure to typical North Eastern US climatic conditions.
(May be required to work nights, weekends, and holidays).
Zayo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.