Data Center Manager- Seattle
Location: Seattle,WA     Department: Operations
Job Number: VB-13063
Data Center Manager
Location: Seattle, WA
Reports To: Regional Operations Manager
Zayo Group provides Communications Infrastructure services, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud services to the world’s leading businesses. In addition to high-capacity dark fiber, wavelength, Ethernet and other connectivity solutions, Zayo offers colocation and cloud services in its carrier-neutral data centers. Zayo provides clients with flexible, customized solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth and services.
Zayo is looking for a two Data Center Mangers to each run the Seattle, WA Data Center. The manager would be responsible for efficient operations of all aspects of the Data Center including Critical Infrastructure by performing the following duties:
- Manage the day to day duties of the onsite DCT personnel across one or multiple sites
- Ensure the monitoring of all infrastructure on site and escalate as needed to various departments within the organization
- Work jointly with the Maintenance team to develop, schedule and monitor a preventative maintenance program to keep equipment in proper working condition
- Ensure site is kept clean at all times.
- Plan and implement a continual work schedule to maintain Company property in a safe and healthy condition to achieve the best working conditions possible for all employees
- Oversees and coordinates activities of contractors engaged in the maintenance of electrical and mechanical systems. Inspects all work performed by outside contractor/ vendors at completion and ensures that standards of workmanship and safety are maintained. Reports back to the maintenance group that all work was completed and forwards all paperwork to the appropriate individuals for record keeping
- Maintain a positive relationship with all customers/clients at their facilities.
- Recommends, plans and implements equipment needs to improve production efficiency and/or achieve cost reduction
- Manages/evaluates PUE at the facility via the BMS system to ensure facility is operating efficiently.
- Oversees all infrastructure related construction projects managed by other internal teams and built by local contractors
- Works with customers upon move in following construction of their environment.
- Ensures all Security policies are being adhered to by all DCT’s to achieve compliance
- Closely monitor all components of infrastructure through the BMS system to identify and report any problems, resolve issues when possible or engages appropriate internal team members when necessary to try and troubleshoot.
- Training of all DCT’s to understand the functionality of the BMS system so they can react accordingly to any unexpected issue at the site
- Responsible for the purchasing/ordering of all consumables needed at the facilities, including customer order needs and tools for installations.
- Training of all DCT’s on zColo’s Emergency Response Procedures and monthly testing of all DCT’s to ensure they understand all protocols.
- Manage weekly work schedules for 24x7x365 coverage as well as an on-call list in the event personnel need additional support
- Ensure Video Surveillance system is operating and that DCT’s are monitoring the facility 24/7/365
- Assist with daily operational duties including shipping and receiving and facility walkthroughs
- Assist in response to infrastructure related events (power, cooling, etc)
- Deal with break fix issues around the facility
- Calling in mechanical, electrical contractors to repair any immediate needs
- Train DCT’s on using Salesforce to ensure they can issue Purchase Orders when necessary
- Train DCT’s to document site walk throughs on a daily basis during their shifts
- Help support customer needs on an as needed basis
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Thorough management of the Data Center
- Good supervisory skills
- Ability to train individuals on an as needed basis
- People management skills
- Mentor individuals to ensure employees have the ability to move up in the organization
Education and/or Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years data center experience
- Minimum 3 years supervisory experience
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations:
- LEED certification is a bonus but not a requirement
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job.
This position requires the applicant to be able to work any of the shifts as part of a 24X7 coverage rotation. The ability to sit for prolonged periods in front of a computer is required. Work is done in an area where normal office noise and occasional construction noise is present. Dirt, dust and grease may be present. Work is occasionally conducted in an outside environment such as a dock, on the roof and in equipment enclosures. Duties may involve working outdoors for short periods of time, with potential exposure to typical US climatic conditions.
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
Zayo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.